Current address: 725 City Center Blvd., Suite 200, Newport News, Virginia 23606-3086.
Contact and title: Joyce Riggins Schaffer, founding partner and CEO.
Product or service: Full service certified public accounting firm, specializing in individual income tax returns and small to mid-size businesses, as well as financial planning, audits, financial statements, estate planning, payroll services, bookkeeping and consulting.
Year business was established: 1986
Reason for locating in Oyster Point: Oyster Point continues to be “the area” for business and attractions in Newport News.
How long has each partner been with company?
- Frederick B. Malvin, CPA: founding partner and chairman of the board
- Joyce Riggins Schaffer, CPA: founding partner and chief executive officer
- John T. Hart, CPA: 2001
- Karen S. VanRosendale, CPA: 2001
- Brian E. Deibler, CPA: 2012
- Kathy V. Lightner, CPA: 2000
Total number of people working for the company: Forty-one (41) employees with five offices in Virginia, Maryland, and North Carolina. Amy Dever has been with the firm as business manager since November 2011, and Robyn Webb as an administrative assistant since May 2012.
- Moved to our corporate office on City Center Boulevard in June 2012.
- Expanded and opened our Raleigh/Chapel Hill/Durham, North Carolina, offices in October 2012.
- Expanded and opened our Virginia Beach office in October 2013.
- Expanded and opened our Nags Head, North Carolina, office in January 2014.
- Expanded and opened our Baltimore, Maryland, office in June 2015.
A significant story: Lots of “odd” stories, but none of them is printable. We are just a big family that likes to work hard and play hard.
Why has your Oyster Point location been beneficial to your growth? It is centrally located, well known and easily accessible to all of Hampton Roads.
Plans for future growth: We are going to get back to basics and grow with our existing clients. In the last five years, we have opened four brick-and-mortar offices throughout Virginia, Maryland and North Carolina, as well as numerous virtual offices throughout Washington, D.C., Rockville, Maryland, and Northern Virginia.
Closing comments: “I really believe that one of the best parts of our firm is that, over the years, we have been very blessed with an amazing staff!” says Joyce Riggins Shaffer.